Thursday, August 18, 2011

Arguments for/against Twilight being a good book?

I agree with you completely. I found it vapid and laughable - that said, I did read it, and I didn't hate it... but I put it just below sweet valley high as far as actual literature goes. Its pretty much emotional masturbation. "I am a moderately attractive uninteresting girl - oh look, now everyone has a huge crush on me including the elusive hot unobtainable guy." Also, I find it disturbing that the main theme for the romance is that he stalks her and makes decisions for both of them - and also that at least on some level he admits to seeing her as prey. The series seems to perpetuate the idea that girls and boys can't just be friends, there has to be some kind of ual interest, and that its pretty acceptable for guys to be overly forceful in their interest. On the other hand I don't think its any worse then a lot of books out there - its just that its gained a huge following that its coming under the microscope more then others.

No comments:

Post a Comment